Spadgers 6 Day, Night
Author: Chris Maher, Photography: Chris Maher | Photography
Saturday 14th December 2013: 19.00 - 22.15.
New to the British Track Cycling diary for 2013, the Spadgers 6Day Night Charity Cycling Event. The event celebrates the life of Lewis (Spadger) Barry, who’s favourite track event was the Madison. This, the inaugural event, is modelled on the popular European 6 Day Track Cycling event condensed into one evening.
The event in the National Cycling Centre has attracted some of Britain’s top cycling athletes. Both Sprint & Endurance cyclists will participate, donating their time freely along with all the Officials & Helpers to Mark & Carol Barry’s chosen charity.
The audience will be entertained by DJ styled music in-between races, with a break half way through for a live band to play.
The evening turned out to be great success. A rather more in-formal occasion than the usual serious track racing that takes place here in Manchester. The proceedings started with the help of Sir Chris Hoy, firing the start pistol.
About a thousand tickets were sold, raising over £1500 for the cause. They was a section for VIP and Hospitality in the track centre, that got you amongst all of the action. Riders were keen to sign autographs. The public had a chance to ride the final event of the evening, a Team Sprint Challenge. The best two Rollapunza times were invited to ride for real. In-between races, sweeties were chucked into the audience by the cyclists, A signed tee-shirt went for auction, And loads of competition give-away’s on the the night. All in-all, a great nights entertainment in the rush up to Christmas.
Ev1 Men’s Elite Points Race
- Jon Mould
- Alex Dowsett
- Scott Jacob
Ev2 Sprinters Flying Lap Qualifying
- Pete Mitchell & Matt Crampton 12.976
- Lewis Oliva & Jody Cundy MBE 13.472
- Callum Skinner & Craig MacLean 13.353
- Kian Emadi & Matt Rotherham 13.870
Ev3 Women’s Scratch Race
- Lizzie Armitstead
Ev5 Men’s 500m Flying Lap
- T15: Luke Rowe & Adam Blyth 28.129
- T2: Symon Lewis & Alex Dowsett 29.307
- T4: George Atkins & Jon Mould 29.473
- T10: Jake Scott, Jake Womersley 29.571
- T12: Adam Duggleby, Alistair Rutherford 29.774
Ev6 Women’s 250m Flying Lap
- Victoria Williamson, Danielle Khan 14.573
- Jenny Davis & Helen Scott 14.890
- Katy Marchant & Rosie Blount 15.237
- Emily Nelson & Lizzie Armitstead 15.792
Ev7 Sprint Final
- Matt Crampton beat Pete Mitchell & Matt Rotherham.
Entertainment Break by The Tone Junkies
Ev8 Men’s Elite Scratch Race
- Adam Blythe
- Ollie Wood
- Chris Latham
- Adam Duggleby
Ev9 Women’s Unknown Distance Race
- Melissa Lowther
- Grace Garner
- Lizzie Armitstead
- Jenny Davis
Ev10 Men’s Keirin
- Matt Crampton
- Pete Mitchell
- Callum Skinner
- Matt Rotherham
- Lewis Oliva
Ev11 Men’s Elite Madison
- Jon Mould & George Atkins
- Jake Ragan & Germaine Burton
- Russell Downing & Dean Downing
- Alex Dowsett & Symon Lewis
- Ollie Wood & Williams
Ev12 Team Sprint
- Team Two, Kian Emadi, Victoria Williamson & XX beat Team One.
Special Thanks to
Cycling Shorts Website for Media Accreditation.
Official Spadgers 6Day Night Website
Flickr Photo Gallery
Facebook Photo Set