Grasscrete Ryedale GP 2023
Saint Piran Pro Cycling launched into orbit around the Grasscrete Ryedale Grand Prix circuit taking all five top places, but it was Millie Couzens [Fenix-Decueninck] whom touched down firstly in the Women’s National Series.
Words & Images by Chris Maher. Sunday 20th August 2023
A bunch sprint up-to the finish line in the Women’s event at Ampleforth Abbey saw Couzens ahead of Tiffany Keep [Hutchinson-Brother], with Mary Wilkinson [Team Boompods] and last years winner Abi Smith [EF Education – TIBCO-SVB].
A six man break from the get-go [Sebastian Garry, James Bevan, Michael Gibb, Guy Drabble, Damien Clayton & Josh Whitehead??] in the Men’s event was the only time that Saint Piran PC didn’t represent the front of the race.
This changed quickly by the mid-point on the first lap with Series Leader Zeb Kyffin escaping with two accomplices, Rob Scott and Damien Clayton once more.
Although the leaders changed in numbers several times as the race unfolded, Kyffin found himself at the pointy end for almost the entire hundred miles to finish second.
Joined by team-mates Adam Lewis and Harry Birchall. It was Birchall that had the legs to claim his first National Race win with Finn Crockett taking fourth and Bradley Symonds fifth.
The Women’s race earlier in the day saw a few attacks, more notably Bexy Dew [Pro-Nocts] and Dani Shrosbury [DAS-Handsling] gaining over half-a-minute at one point.
As the race unfolded and the final lap approached a group of around ten formed with Ella Jamison [LIV Cycling Club] attacking out of the Abbey Grounds.
Next to try and breakaway was Wilson on the climb, but others had ideas.
In the end, the race was won by the strongest legs of the day with Couzens taking the uphill gallop, Keep second, Wilkinson third, Abi Smith fourth and Lucy Lee [DAS-Handsling] rounding out the top five.
Series leader Monica Greenwood finished a respectable fourteenth to hold the Jersey.
On the final lap there was a group of around nine or ten. How did that come about?
Just after going over the top (out of Ampleforth Abbey Grounds) it all split said Millie. We just rolled through.
Did you go first on the run in to the finish line?
On the final lap Mary went first. I was just hanging to her wheel until as late a possible. I got around her.
Five of you (Saint Piran Procycling) on the front. Are the races easy?
No, it wasn’t easy said Harry.
Compared to races abroad, has was this race?
No, this is different. It’s a hard day out. The races abroad are 1.1 (UCI). There’s some big names in there. It’s all controlled by proper Teams – World Tour.
You were all attacking each other. Why?
We were trying to make the race interesting. It was just left to us to race it out.
Have you won a National race before?
No – It’s my first one. It’s amazing Harry said, going on to say, especially here. It’s a tough course – I’m buzzing, really happy.
It’s the Tour of Britain in two weeks. It’s been a big goal of mine. It’s my first year on the road, I’m still learning.
How tough has the Grasscrete Ryedale GP compared to the other Nationals in the Series?
I think it’s probably the hardest. The climbs are really grippy. They are all hard, but this is probably the hardest.
Pixie Set Gallery https://cyclepix.pixieset.com/ryedalegp2023women/
1. Millie Couzens Fenix-Deceuninck Finished 1st 100
2. Tiffany Keep Hutchinson-Brother Finished 0
3. Mary Wilkinson Team Boompods Finished Elite 75
4. Abi Smith EF Education-TIBCO-SVB Finished Elite 66
5. Lucy Lee DAS – Handsling Bikes Finished Elite 58
6. Ella Jamieson Liv Cycling Club – Halo Films Finished 1st 51
7. Katherine Sheridan Finished 0
8. Grace Lister DAS – Handsling Bikes Finished Elite 39
9. Lizi Brooke Wahoo – Le Col Finished 2nd 34
10. Lucy Gadd Stade Rochelais Charente-Marit… Finished Elite 29
11. Corinne Side Pro-Noctis – Heidi Kjeldsen – … Finished Elite 25
12. Emma Jeffers DAS – Handsling Bikes Finished Elite 21
13. Sannah Zaman Hutchinson-Brother UK Finished 2nd 18
14. Monica Greenwood DAS – Handsling Bikes Finished Elite 15
15. Amy Gornall Pro-Noctis – Heidi Kjeldsen – … Finished 2nd 12
16. Connie Hayes AWOL- O’Shea Finished 1st 10
17. Sophie Enever Alba Development Road Team Finished 2nd 8
18. Bexy Dew Pro-Noctis – Heidi Kjeldsen – … Finished Elite 6
19. Alice Lethbridge Loughborough Lightning Finished 2nd 4
20. Amelia Tyler Alba Development Road Team Finished 2nd 2
1. Harry Birchill Saint Piran Finished Elite 100
2. Zeb Kyffin Saint Piran Finished Elite 85
3. Adam Lewis Saint Piran Finished 1st 75
4. Finn Crockett Saint Piran Finished Elite 66
5. Bradley Symonds Saint Piran Finished 1st 58
6. Edward Morgan Wales Racing Academy Finished Elite 51
7. Thomas Armstrong Wheelbase CabTech Castelli Finished 2nd 45
8. Damien Clayton Embark Spirit BSS Finished Elite 39
9. George Peden Team PB Performance Finished Elite 34
10. Tom Martin Wheelbase CabTech Castelli Finished 1st 29
11. Joe Brookes Halesowen A & CC Finished 1st 25
12. Jacob Smith Wheelbase CabTech Castelli Finished 1st 21
13. Zachary Walker TUDOR PRO CYCLING TEAM U23 Finished 1st 18
14. Cai Davies Kalas Motip Race Team Finished 1st 15
15. Jamie Pullen TAAP Endura Finished 2nd 12
16. James McKay Cycling Sheffield Finished Elite 10
17. Logan Maclean Wheelbase CabTech Castelli Finished 1st 8
18. Joseph Smith Finished 1st 6
19. Thomas Heal StolenGoat Race Team Finished 2nd 4
20. Jordan Giles Primera-TeamJobs Finished 1st 2