Pearl Izumi Tour Series – Round Seven | Redditch
Author: Chris Maher, Pictures courtesy of: www.tourseries.co.uk
Press Release – Reports from Redditch Pearl Izumi Tour Series cycling
Issued on behalf of Tour Series
Individual win for Boulo, as Rapha Condor JLT extend Series lead in Redditch
Matthieu Boulo soloed to victory in Redditch to take Team Raleigh’s first individual win for the team, but behind him it was a two, three, four for Rapha Condor JLT for a dominant team win.
The win restores Rapha Condor JLT’s 12-point advantage over Madison Genesis with four events to go, including the double header Jersey finale.
Madison Genesis in turn are just three points clear of Team Raleigh, who have enjoyed a recent excellent run of form thanks to last week’s wins in Durham and Edinburgh, and Boulo’s Redditch triumph helping them to second on the night.
Raleigh had been one of the most active teams throughout Redditch’s Choose how you move round, with Liam Stones, Yanto Barker and Boulo all enjoying time up the road at the head of the race.
On drying roads around Redditch town centre though it was an ever changing picture at the front, with lap after lap the order changing, with Starley Primal’s Jack Pullar and NFTO Pro Cycling’s Sam Harrison two to stay away for the longest.
Boulo’s effort with two laps to go saw him go clear, putting his head down to maintain his margin to the finish, while behind Pullar’s chase ended in a final lap crash, with Rapha Condor JLT trio Felix English, Ed Clancy and House comfortably leading in what remained of the main field.
Stones and Barker’s fifth and eighth secured second on the night for Raleigh, in a close battle with Madison Genesis who also placed three riders inside the top ten.
Led by Gruff Lewis’ seventh place, Pedal Heaven Colbornes took their best ever Pearl Izumi Tour Series result of fourth on the night, to close up the battle at the bottom of the standings to just three points between them, Starley Primal and Great Britain.
In addition to his race win, Boulo also took the Costa Express Fastest Lap prize, while House won the evening’s Sprint competition but Jon Mould keeps his lead in the green Sprint jersey standings.
Highlights of the Redditch race are on ITV4 at 9pm on Wednesday 4 June, with a repeat on Thursday 5 June at 9am.
Round Eight of The Pearl Izumi Tour Series takes place in London, at Canary Wharf on Thursday 5 June at 7.30pm, preceded by the Canary Wharf Corporate Grand Prix pro-am at 6.30pm.
The Pearl Izumi Tour Series
Tuesday 3 June 2014, Redditch
Round Seven Team Result
1) Rapha Condor JLT
2) Team Raleigh
3) Madison Genesis
4) Pedal Heaven Colbornes
5) Metaltek Kuota
6) Starley Prima Pro Cycling
7) NFTO Pro Cycling
8) Great Britain
9) Node4 Velosure
Round Seven Individual Result
1) Matthieu Boulo, FRA, Team Raleigh
2) Felix English, IRL, Rapha Condor JLT
3) Ed Clancy, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
4) Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
5) Liam Stones, GBR, Team Raleigh
6) Ian Bibby, GBR, Madison Genesis
7) Gruff Lewis, GBR, Pedal Heaven Colbornes
8) Yanto Barker, GBR, Team Raleigh
9) Andy Tennant, GBR, Madison Genesis
10) Mike Northey, NZL, Madison Genesis
Round Seven Costa Express Fastest Lap: Matthieu Boulo, FRA, Team Raleigh, 2’01.475
Round Seven Sprint Winner: Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
Overall Team Standings, post-Round Seven
1) Rapha Condor JLT, 84pts ↔
2) Madison Genesis, 72pts ↔
3) Team Raleigh, 69pts ↔
4) NFTO Pro Cycling, 58pts ↔
5) Node4 Velosure, 43pts ↔
6) Metaltek Kuota, 38pts ↔
7) Great Britain, 32pts ↔
8) Starley Primal Pro Cycling, 31pts ↔
9) Pedal Heaven Colbornes, 29pts ↔
Overall Sprint Standings, post-Round Seven
1) Jon Mould, GBR, NFTO Pro Cycling, 60pts
2) Graham Briggs, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, 41pts
3) Tom Scully, NZL, Madison Genesis, 39pts
Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series Round Four – Redditch
Amy Roberts benefits from last lap drama for first Series win
A dramatic last corner crash handed victory in Redditch’s Round Four of the Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series to Wiggle Honda’s Amy Roberts.
Roberts was in a six rider group set to contest the win, but on roads made greasy by earlier rain, Charline Joiner slid out at the last corner, taking Helen Wyman with her and disrupting the rest of the group, leaving Roberts in front of Lydia Boylan and Dame Sarah Storey.
Storey and Joiner had worked hard with teammate Ciara Horne in the front group with Series leader Eileen Roe distanced from the front mid-race in a bid to put Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International rider Joiner into the leaders jersey.
But with the pressure on, Joiner slid out, crossing the line on foot in fifth, and with Roe recovering for twelfth, the Starley Primal Pro Cycling rider kept the jersey by three points.
For Roberts it was a great victory on only her second appearance in the 2014 Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series, riding unsupported as the only Wiggle Honda rider in the field. Roberts finished just ahead of Series regular Boylan, who recorded her first ever Matrix Fitness GP Series podium in Redditch.
In third, Storey lead in a trio of teammates, first Horne and then Joiner, on foot, just ahead of Wyman who also crossed the line on foot, but consolation was the Sprints win on the night, and with it the Series lead.
Roe now leads by just three points from Joiner, with Wyman a further eleven points back. The Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International team lead the team standings by 50-points over Matrix Fitness – Vulpine.
*The final round of the Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series takes place in Woking on Tuesday 10 June, with highlights of the Redditch round shown as a part of The Pearl Izumi Tour Series highlights on ITV4 at 9pm on Wednesday 4 June.
Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series
Tuesday 3 June 2014
Round Four, Redditch
1) Amy Roberts, GBR, Wiggle Honda
2) Lydia Boylan, IRL, Velosport – Pasta Montegrappa
3) Dame Sarah Storey, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International
4) Ciara Horne, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International
5) Charline Joiner, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International
6) Helen Wyman, GBR, Matrix Fitness – Vulpine
7) Annasley Park, GBR, RST Racing Team
8) Gabriella Shaw, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International
9) Tamiko Butler, GBR, WyndyMilla Reynolds
10) Katie Curtis, GBR, Starley Primal Pro Cycling
Round Four Sprint Winner: Helen Wyman, GBR, Matrix Fitness – Vulpine
Round Four Team Winner: Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International
Overall Individual Standings, post-Round Four
1) Eileen Roe, GBR, Starley Primal Pro Cycling, 64pts
2) Charline Joiner, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tour International, 61pts
3) Helen Wyman, GBR, Matrix Fitness – Vulpine, 50pts
4) Natalie Creswick, GBR, Team MuleBar Girl – Sigma Sport, 43pts
5) Katie Archibald, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International, 40pts
Overall Sprint Standings, post-Round Four
1) Helen Wyman, GBR, Matrix Fitness – Vulpine, 22pts
2) Katie Archibald, GBR, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International, 20pts
3) Eileen Roe, GBR, Starley Primal Pro Cycling, 12pts
Overall Team Standings, post-Round Four
1) Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International, 191pts ↔
2) Matrix Fitness – Vulpine, 141pts ↔
3) Starley Primal Pro Cycling 99pts ↔
4) Team MuleBar Girl – Sigma Sport, 69pts ↔
5) Velosport – Pasta Montegrappa, 55pts ↑
6) Epic Cycles – Scott WRT, 49pts ↓
7) RST Racing Team, 46pts ↔
8) WyndyMilla – Reynolds, 39pts ↓
9) GBCycles.co.uk, 3pts ↓
Official Race Results http://www.tourseries.co.uk/home.php
Thanks to Pete & Grace for media access throughout the series… http://www.sweetspotgroup.co.uk/home.php
Contributor to http://www.cyclingshorts.uk.com/
My photos are regularly updated on https://www.flickr.com/photos/23913935@N07/
Official photographer 2014 for http://teamjadan.com/