Adam Blythe wins the Pearl Izumi Jersey International Road Race
Press Release, Issued on behalf of #TourSeries
Author: Chris Maher, Pictures courtesy of: www.tourseries.co.uk
15 June 2014
Having gone close in Friday afternoon’s Pearl Izumi Tour Series hill climb, Adam Blythe finally stood on the top step of a Pearl Izumi podium in Jersey on Sunday lunchtime.
The NFTO Pro Cycling rider launched a last lap attack in the final five kilometres of the Pearl Izumi Jersey International Road Race, part of the Jersey Festival of Cycling, to take victory by 14-seconds from breakaway colleagues Steve Lampier and James McLaughlin, the latter riding for a Channel Islands composite team.
The trio, plus Ian Bibby and Yanto Barker had been at the head of the race since the opening lap, in a move instigated by the latter on the first ascent of St Catherine’s Hill, midway around the 14-kilometre loop.
The five worked well together to stay clear of a fractured peloton, with a group of ten riders, eventually led in by Marcin Bialoblocki providing their own real opposition, but one which faded over the final two laps of the Jersey circuit.
With Bibby and Barker tailed off on the penultimate tour, a cramping Lampier and McLaughlin had no answer to Blythe’s attack, with the NFTO rider having been to the fore of the break throughout.
Consolation for third placed McLaughlin, who rides for the French Guidon Chalettois team was the day’s King of the Mountains prize, for amassing the most points over the St Catherine’s Hill climb, which the race tackled on each of its ten laps.
The Pearl Izumi Jersey International Road Race
Sunday 15 June 2014, Gorey, Jersey Festival of Cycling
1) Adam Blythe, GBR, NFTO Pro Cycling, 3h 19’47
2) Steve Lampier, GBR, Node4 Velosure, + 14″
3) James McLaughlin, GBR, Channel Islands composite, same time
4) Ian Bibby, GBR, Madison Genesis, + 50″
5) Yanto Barker, GBR, Team Raleigh, + 1’10
6) Marcin Bialoblocki, POL, Node4 Velosure, + 2’06
7) Tom Scully, NZL, Madison Genesis, + 2’26
8) Gruff Lewis, GBR, Pedal Heaven Colbornes, + 3’10
9) Mike Northey, NZL, Madison Genesis, same time
10) Evan Oliphant, GBR, Team Raleigh, same time
11) Rob Partridge, GBR, Node4 Velosure, same time
12) Matthieu Boulo, FRA, Team Raleigh, + 3’15
13) Rhys Lloyd, GBR, Metaltek Kuota, + 3’45
14) Jon Mould, GBR, NFTO Pro Cycling, + 6’35
15) Ed Clancy, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, same time
16) Tom Stewart, GBR, Madison Genesis, + 6’48
17) George Harper, GBR, Node4 Velosure, + 6’53
18) Will Bjergfelt, GBR, Metaltek Kuota, same time
19) Chris Latham, GBR, Great Britain, same time
20) Richard Hepworth, GBR, Node4 Velosure, same time
King of the Mountains prize: James McLaughlin, GBR, Channel Islands composite
52 starters / 41 finishers
Official Race Results http://www.tourseries.co.uk/home.php